Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Move fields from on table into another

This topic is 7119 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm designing a database and am still slogging through understanding the new approach of FM7 tables. I've created a database with a second table with a group of fields, but have changed my mind and want to have the fields be a part of the main table. Can I move or copy the fields from the second table to the main table or do I have to recreate all the fields in the main table?

Would sure save me some time! grin.gif

No, you can't move fields from one table to another. There is a tool called FMRobot (www.nmci.com) that can do it, however for now it is Windows-only.

One method I've found fairly quick and one that takes data entry errors out is to open the source file in developer or another copy of FM7, and the destination file in a different FM7. In the source file field definitions window sort by type then copy the filename using the clip board and paste it into the destination definitions window, use duplicate to save from having to set storage options and paste the next over the copy name. Do the same for calcs. This reduces the amount of entry errors and once you get a rythm set up it goes fairly quickly, turning tedious re-typing into pretty much mindless actions. Of coarse you need two licenses to do this or perhaps could be done with a demo version for its duration.

This topic is 7119 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.