Server Maintenance This Week. ×

perform script on record change.

This topic is 7116 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Lee,

I'm not talking about on field entry/exit unfortunately.

I mean if you change record - or 'on record view' or something.

The reason is that when navigating the database I'd like to have a different layout depending on various criteria.

Is there a way to do that?

I thought the only way to do that is some kind of script when a record is changed. How to trigger that script though?

I realise I could add navigation buttons to move between records rather than rolodex but there is certain functionality that the rolodex is good for.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks lee

Ben

If the changes are minor, you could hide some fields in a portal or portals triggered by values in other fields.

e.g. I just finished a small photo directory solution for a non-profit. If the contact was a member, I hide the membership start date in a portal triggered by a checked radio button for being a member.

on record change?

How about a custom validation of a field?

The validation is performed when you first view a record isn't it?

Or is it performed on field exit?

That validation could trigger some kind of external function for a plugin to run a script?

I know there are plugins to run a script on field exit but I'm not sure about this.

I use the portal way already but what I'm trying to do here is a bit more complicated and does need to be a different layout.

Thanks

Ben

Yeah I am thinking about that.

The problem is that if anyone then decided to use the rolodex in the status area, it wouldn't work and they'd be stuck with the wrong layout.

I could hide the status area but it adds certain other functionality that I need.

I think I might have to hide it and use my own navigation buttons though. Unless there's a plugin that can do it.

Thanks

Ben

This topic is 7116 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.