Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Importing from Excel

This topic is 7022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am trying to import a document from Excel that has lots of data in it. It should all pertain to one record in Filemaker. Instead, it is making itself into hundreds of records in Filemaker. I need all the information from each excel spreadsheet to load into one record in Filemaker. Please help if you have any ideas or solutions. Thanks!

Hi Jessica, and welcome to the Forums.

How many Rows do you have in your Excel File? FileMaker counts each row as a separate record, and each column as different Fields.

Lee

You could use a container field and Insert Object (the Excel spreadsheet), if you simply want to document the spreadsheet. If you double-click the container field, Excel will launch with your spreadsheet.

If you want all the data in separate fields, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

Hi,

I believe it's that kettle of fish we're after...

I also want to get a multi-row excel spreadsheet into a single record, so that I am able to compare, for example, the unit price for a particular service contained in column x (unit price) row y (service) between many records.

Plugins? Scripts?

still waving Sinking.gif

• 4 weeks later...

If I understand correctly, I'd suggest using the Excel Concatenating function adding whatever field separators you desire. Concatenate each cell in a row together into a new cell in the last column, then concatenate that single column containing all the concatenations. The last cell would contain all the contents of the excel document in a single cell. Copy that cell and paste it in your filemaker record.

ie: if excel document looked like:

r=row number

c=cell number

r1c1 r1c2 r1c3 -> concatenated

r2c1 r2c2 r2c3 -> concatenated

r3c1 r3c2 r3c3 -> concatenated

Then concatenate that 4th column containing all the concatenations.

This topic is 7022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.