Global Fields not storing info

This topic is 7081 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hmmmm, you may have used them extensively in the past but the fact remains that client globals are lost in a networked environment. On stand-alone systems they will remain, for sure. Shocked me the first time I lost them on client system, although I had read repeatedly it would happen and even expected it. It can still catch one off-guard. wink.gif

PotzUK, if they were multi-user, you must have been using the files from the machine on which they were being hosted.

If you do that using FMPro (not server) then the globals will retain their value.

but if you are hosting the file on server, the only way for them to retain their value is to stop sharing the file with server and run the file with pro.

I beg to differ, I have several databases in version 6 hosted on 5.5 server that use global fields in relationships. The values are retained when the client closes the file.

Tony,

A global will retain its value in a shared file in these two ways: if it is first set offline in FM Pro client, or if it is being shared, and you access the file as the only guest and go into Define Fields. This sets the default value of the global, which all clients will use when they connect. This is the behavior in 5/6 and 7.

The question is then... how does one create a global variable/field that is TRUELY global.

I want to have an area that someone can defeine the titles of menus... or label some custom fields.... and I need that to be TRUELY global, not session global based... in a networked enviroment.

...Skeeve

Use a Preferences table/file that contains one record with non-global text, number, date, or time fields and set changes based on a Cartesian relationship (any two normal fields joined by the X operator).

If you want it to be account-based, create a record for each account and set changes based on an account name relationship.

This topic is 7081 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.