Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Print setup in OS X

Ender

This topic is 7051 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Well, I'm in the middle of my conversion process and I am back on a problem I noticed several months ago with the change in behavior of the Page Setup[] and Print[] script steps in OS X.

My 5/6 solution prints with no dialog most of the time, printing the form or report to the user's default printer. With FM7, print options (All records, Current record, and Blank record) are now stored in the Print [ Restore ] subscript. I can deal with changing these around in all my print scripts and reports, but I'd still like to have the Print with No Dialog behavior that my users have been used to.

Unfortunately, when the Print settings are set on the developer's computer, it tries to Print to the same printer that the developer had used to set it up. Now, I can see how this could be useful in some environments, but for my school with some 25 printers in 10 locations, it makes more sense to use the user's default printer. As a developer, I can set up the Print settings with a fake printer, then my users' computers will use their default printer instead--but only if the print dialog comes up.

Does anyone see a way to supress the print dialog, and restore the print options, except keep the user's default printer choice?

Attached is an example that illustrates the problem.

PrintProblem.fp7.zip

It looks like the 'Restore, No Dialog' version works if the developer's printer has not been used previously on the user's computer (and then removed). This will work out for me. I can add an IP printer with a fake IP to set up the print scripts.

• 1 month later...

I was not able to make this work. I created a fake IP printer, edited the script that prints labels, restore the print options to the fake IP printer, select no dialogue on the print script. I did the same for the print normal printer script. Then deleted the fake IP printer. When running the script, the applescript changes the default printer to the label printer, runs the script print labels, and nothing happens. When I edit the script again, restoring print setup, the default printer is the fake IP printer for a second but then goes to the default printer in Printer Setup Utility. I am then back to the previous behavior of always printing to the last printer chosen regardless of what I state in the print restore options.

Doug, you should be able to set the printer choice within the Print[] script step options. I was able to get this to work with multiple printers. But I believe the workstation needs to have the selected printers available in the Printer Setup Utility, otherwise it goes to the workstation's default printer.

This is the opposite of what I was trying to do, and I was frustrated that FileMaker now behaves this way. But it should work fine for what you are doing.

I too am serching for automated blind scripting control of printers at least like we had in fmp6. I was going to force all my customers to print to .pdf and automate the page setup for them but I could not get it to work with fmp 7v3 on the windows platform. I would hope you would be doing better in the mac world but probably not since you now are unixing around...

I saw on this form another user with the problem and it was verified by another the there is not yet a solution for this feature yet.

I went to fmp site and reported it as a bug and requested they fix it.

Until then I changed my layout to be landscape and printable at 100% and told the user to make sure they are printing as such. Then they will have to do their own manual print.

I have put my fmp 7 development/migration on hold until the blind printing problem is fixed.

I did read in the migration documentation that if you did an unusal page setup in fmp 6 script and then transulated to fmp 7 that it would work until you open it up. Then you would have to revise it and it would no longer work due to the above feature/bug.

Hope FMP gets this fixed soon and kind regards from former mac guy...

This topic is 7051 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.