Server Maintenance This Week. ×

dynamic value list generation

This topic is 8760 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database of students and some have volunteered to mentor incoming students. I have tried to create a script that, when run, will find all those where the mentor field is yes, and then erase the mentor list and fill it in with the found records. I can get it to find the mentors and open the value list window, but I can't figure out how to get the found records into the value list.

The other option I was considering was some how exporting the found records to another mentor DB and just using the name field as the entries in the value list.

Thanks in advance, qntgeek

Hello,

I hope this points you in the right direction: An easy fix is to make another field (say 'mentor value list') that holds the information for the value list and set the value list to look up from that field (the field doesn't have to be in the same DB but in your case it will be).

In your script, once it finds the mentors, set it to go to the first record, loop, copy and paste names to the 'mentor value list' field, exit after last. Also, be sure to paste literal " " (a single space) in between each pasted name so that it shows up separately in your final value list instead of as one big block of text. Then as I mentioned above, just set your value list to look up from a field 'mentor value list'.

Every time you run the script your value list will be updated. You can have it run automatically if you set your preferences to run it at open or close of the file. This script will run very fast unless you have thousands and thousands of names in your DB.

Good Luck, Cael.

This topic is 8760 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.