Menu Plugins

Jalz

This topic is 7130 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Guys,

Just want to know whether any of you out there use any of the menuplugins? Im looking at MenuControl2 or SecureFM with MenuMagic so that I can change the menus at the top of FileMaker.

Im leaning towards MenuControl2 simply because its cheaper, but what are the main differences between the two?

One thing I dont like about MenuControl2, is the fact that I need to run a menu script everytime I open the file, I have a 30 file solution and this can get quite messy, anyone found this a problem?

Are there any other cheaper developer Menu plugins on the Market for FileMaker?

Cheers

Jalz

Thanks RalphL for your prompt reply.

Sorry for my ignorance, but isn't turning off Menus very easy in the FileMaker app directly when you setup Passwords and groups.

Does SecureFM allow you to rename any of the Menu items, even though I believe you cant execute scripts?

Cheers

Hi Transpower,

Well its not that expensive in relative terms, but I started off life as a Foxpro developer and the feature of renaming the menus was built in. Its hard paying for something that you'd almost expect to take for granted from FileMaker.

Do you find MenuControl easy to manage, i.e. when you make updates to your files or when you switch from one file to another? Im just worried about my users opening up a screen and then getting locked out from the menu as the screen/startup script hasn't refreshed.

Cheers

Jalz

I use MenuControl v1.5, which I like a lot. It does take some thought and setup time, but it really is easy to use. When you update a solution, you need to be careful and not replace the global field(s) that contain the menus, since you'll restore the old ones.

There is nothing to worry about refresh problems, as it happens so rapidly. The real problem is not changing the menu when you change files, since the scripts in the new file can't be executed (nor can the scripts in the old file, since they aren't local). But this problem is easy to find and debug.

I have a very complex menu setup with different menu in each file, and in some cases more than 1 menu per file. MenuControl has made a world of difference in what my app looks like, and was worth every cent.

Steve

This topic is 7130 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.