Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Counting Specific Records and Recording the Number

This topic is 8704 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am a rookie with this software, but am using Filemaker Pro v. 4.0 and am trying to setup a script that will accomplish the following:

Get text from a name field, e.g. "Bill Smith"

Search the database for records with the same text in that field.

Count the number of these records.

Put the value (number of records) into the text of a second field on the form.

The application is a reporting database and the purpose of this script would be to inform the user of the number of previous reports which have been completed on the individual to date. As a further feature, I would like the records then sorted on the basis of the name. I know this can be done manually, but I seem to be unable to script it so that it happens a the push of a button.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I apologize for the rookie nature of the question !

Rob Andrews

Rob, This is the same problem I was trying to resolve using variables in finds (see a previous topic)

To achieve your goal you need to:

First create a global field to store the search criteria(gSearchCriteria) and another to hold the number of records(NumberofRecords).

Then create a script to find records and count the records. (The record count is done with one of the status functions.)

Enter Find Mode [ ]

Set Field [

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some times they get curly huh?

I'd be interested in your actual solution as I'm trying extract a series of labels from an irregulaly coded set of numbers which text eg x.xxxxxxxx(y).xxxx

Where I want the max, min for the .xxxx suffix and step it into a range of 24 for each of the values from the xxxxxxxx(y) body.

So I'd be very interested.

Thanks in advance.

This topic is 8704 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.