Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multiple Auto Serial problem

This topic is 8653 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am constructing a database for samples from multiple loci on an archaeological dig. I wanted to have a two-letter designation for the locus and then a unique 5-digit number for that two letter series. I set up a pull-down menu that uses the locus name to generate the two letter desig. in the serial number field. I thought that by creating a different number field for each letter code, that the script would work.

What happens is this: The first record from Locus A comes up CH-00001, and as long as I am working on Locus A items all is well. When I want to work on Locus B, I select that from the pull-down, and it is inserted into the serial number, but the numbering does not start with the first number in the new series. Say that the last locus A number is CH-00499. When I switch, I get NW-00500, when what I want is NW-00001.

Is it even possible to have them exist in the same database? I think I should start the script over from the start, and since I am a new user, I have probably overlooked some easy solution.

All advice is very much appreciated!!!

Karin

• Newbies

To clarify the p[roblem:

The catalog number field is a calculation, with the following script:

Case(ProjectName="Chapel","CH-"& CatalogNumber2, ProjectName="North Wing","NW-" & CatalogNumber3)

I thought that by using two separate fields for the numberic part, that I could keep them separate and differently serialized, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I also have CatalogNumber1 (the end product) indexed- is this the problem?

Thanks again!!!

Karin

This topic is 8653 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.