Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Online field definition

This topic is 8544 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

HELP! Is there any way to create new fields or modify old ones while databases are being hosted by FM Pro Server (about 50 users)? Would FM 5 or FM 5 Server permit online field creation and modification?

What's the best solution for an environment where new and modified fields are requested very frequently?

FileMaker Server 5.0 allows the creation and modification of fields while the databases are being hosted. The only catch is that the user modifying the fields can be the only user logged on. I would be impossible to allow modification of fields while multiple users are logged on as it creates some serious logical conflicts (two users defining two field with the same name,one user modifying a field definition while another trys to delete it, etc.). -bd

The answer to your question "What's the best solution for an environment where new and modified fields are requested very frequently?" is....

...scheduled down-time! (seriously) Often done at the time that causes least disruption to the users, which is usually weekends. Charge for your time accordingly!

I'm not that familiar with a lot of other databases, but most compiled products would require change be made in an editor, the source would then be recompiled, the application shutdown, the new application installed and then launched. All databases would have similar restrictions as the problem is a logical one, NOT one of implementation! -bd

[This message has been edited by LiveOak (edited November 09, 2000).]

• 4 weeks later...

Ebay has scheduled downtime...

As far as having to do the work after hours goes, yep that's part of the job. It has been for the past twenty years or so.

BTW SQL isn't a database, it'a a language used to query databases.

[This message has been edited by Vaughan (edited December 08, 2000).]

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

BTW SQL isn't a database, it'a a language used to query databases.

Not that it matter much, but many people refer to SQL, when they mean to refer to Microsoft's SQLServer. Simply part of MS trying to grab more common language and make it thier own.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

I believe that IBM invented SQL. But that's par for the course for Microsoft, most of their products are acquisitions: Excel, Powerpoint -- these were originally Macintosh products. I suspect we'll be able to add FileMaker Pro onto that list soon. <groan>

• Newbies

Originally posted by Vaughan:

Ebay has scheduled downtime...

As far as having to do the work after hours goes, yep that's part of the job. It has been for the past twenty years or so.

Yes, I agree with you, and that's why we thought that FM 5 would change it, since it's a great product. I'm afraid other softwares like MS SQLServer, Oracle 8i, etc do offer this so waited feature of modifying database structures while they're online. Is it true?

quote:

Originally posted by Marcio Nunes:

I'm afraid other softwares like MS SQLServer, Oracle 8i, etc do offer this so waited feature of modifying database structures while they're online. Is it true?

ABOSULTELY NOT! All of these products require that you down the servers to update field definations and other structures.

Filemaker is actually a bit more forgiving now with 5.0 in that you do not have to actually down the server, only the files that you are changing.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

I'm getting my car serviced next week. Can they work on it while I'm driving it around? No. Scheduled down-time is not just a database concept.

I used to work in a sugar mill in far north Queesland, their scheduled down time was the six or so months of the year the cane wasn't being cut. That was when *everything* got serviced and plant upgrades were done, because they wanted zero downtime during the crushing season.

This topic is 8544 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.