Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Global Fields

This topic is 8508 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Thanks for reading this.

I built a large database to track jobs at our ad agency. It's one database that has several realms. Each group has access to there jobs that are automatically sorted for them. It prints out a weekly schedule custom for each group. On that printed list I have include a few note fields that appear at the top or the back of the printed schedule. These notes are to inform people of up coming days off or special information. I set these fields as global text fields. If I put information in the fields and flip through records or views, It keeps the information. But if I log off the server, the next time I open the database the information is gone.

How can I get this information to stick?

Also, how can I stop people from getting the error message that someone using that record. I though that FileMaker Server 5 would allow multi people to use the same file.

Thanks for your time...

Troy

On your global question: Global are user specific, and set by the host. This mean that globals will be initialized to the last value set the host machine, and that any changes made by the user (if allowed) will be specific to that user. Each user can have a different value in the same global field of a file served by FMS. As such, the only options I know of are to shut the file in FMS, open it locally and change the global, and then reopen on the server, or what I use. Where I need to employ the technique you describe, I create a record holds global update fields. I use that record to make changes to the any global messages, and then run a script at startup that will set the global values to whatever is contain in that record. That script is run at each user's login, so their global get set to what I want.

As for you record lock. FMS, allow multiple user access to the files it hosts, but, will not allow multiple access to a single record in the database. If a user is making any kind of change to a record, that record will remained locked as long as the user has any field selected.

HTH

This topic is 8508 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.