Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Keeping the DATA and BR tables in sync

This topic is 7060 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm about to use the separation method in migrating an FMP6 project to FMP7.

Is keeping the _DATA and _BR tables in sync going to be a problem? In the many-to-many example, the _DATA and _BR database table records are added/deleted explicitly in the scripts in the interface database. In production implementations of this model, is this the method used? That the records are added/deleted separately and the operation limited to being performed in one place.

Would using the relationship, "allow creation..."/"Delete related..." settings be more effective? Set on the _BR table relationship for the primary link to the _DATA table. Again, though, this requires that all other methods of creating just a _DATA record be prohibited. Not always an easy task, I suspect.

Again, I'm not sure this will be a much of problem but ask the question to see what consideration has been given to it.

Cheers,

John.

If you look at the Create New Record script you will see that I use the script to create the record in the data file and use auto create for the BR file. Since there is a one to one relationship between Data & BR tables you must create both at the same time.

I prefer to use scripts to create related records. In a production database I use SecureFM and kill the menu bar and keyboard shortcuts. Everything is done by buttons and scripts.

This topic is 7060 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.