Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Learning More about FileMaker, Plug-Ins, Etc.

This topic is 7052 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi There

I have self-taught myself with the FileMaker help and this forum about FileMaker Pro. However, my knowledge ends there. I want to learn everything, including:

- Programming (C++ ??)

- Building Plug-Ins

- Interacting with the Computer

- Web, Email, Fax, SMS, Telephone Possibilities, etc, etc.

Where do I start. I am committed to broadening my knowledge over the next 5 years. Can anyone suggest what I should learn and in what order. I could easily assign 20 hrs/week x 40wks/year x 5 years = 4000 hours to this. Can it be intrinsically be done?

I probably haven't made it clear what I wan't to achieve, as I don't really know. All I do know is I am limited by the lack of knowledge and want to have the control to do as much as I can with FileMaker, which makes me think I need to know more about my Mac, Programming, Etc.

Any pointers would be most helpful, so I can start to structure a plan of action.

Thanks - Peter

Honestly, I've found that it's difficult to learn a technology until you have a problem that the technology can solve. Therefore, I'll begin with what each technology you've mentioned is good for.

Programming (C++): Actually, by using FileMaker, and especially scripting and calculations, you're already programming. If you're interested in learning a more complete proceedural or object oriented programming language, since you use a Mac, I would suggest AppleScript as a good starting point. While the language itself won't transfer to the Windows platform, the concepts of programming (variables, loops, functions, objects) will be useful when you learn other languages.

There are many good tutorials online for learning AppleScript. A Google search should turn some up. You can also check out some of the books available. The AppleScript Handbook is one that many AppleScript users have used to learn the language, but it's a bit dated now. AppleScript in a Nutshell is a good reference, but doesn't offer much in the way of tutorials. There's a new book out called AppleScript: A Comprehensive Guide to Scripting and Automation on Mac OS X, which I haven't read, but have heard good things about. Finally, I wrote a series of articles, which you can find at http://www.atpm.com/Back/roll.shtml. The series is aimed more at programming in general than AppleScript in particular, but it uses AppleScript as the example language, so it may be exactly what you're looking for.

C and it's object-oriented descendents (C++ and Objective-C) is used more for creating applications. If you want to create applications for Mac OS X, then AppleScript will serve you fine (through AppleScript Studio).

You'll need C or C++ to write plugins for FileMaker, but generally you don't need to write a plugin, as what you need to do can be done without a plugin or the plugin already exists. However, if you do want to learn how to write plugins, the only place (other than FileMaker's own documentation) that I know of that covers that topic is a chapter in The Book of FileMaker 6 (disclaimer: I tech edited that book and helped to write that chapter).

As far as interacting with the comptuer is concerned, the best book for Mac OS X that I know of is Mac OS X Panther Unleashed, which covers all of the GUI front-end to Mac OS X as well as the command line back-end.

With Web, Email, Fax, etc., it depends on what you mean. Do you mean developing applications that make use of these technologies, or simply using them. Publishing to the web with FileMaker is very easy if you use the Instant Web Publishing feature. Here, just begin with the documentation that comes with FileMaker, as well as this forum as a resource for questions. Faxing from FileMaker can be accomplished with a plugin.

Overall, here's my recommendation: Begin with Mac OS X Unleashed to learn all about the Mac and its operating system. Then move to AppleScript to learn general programming, perhaps to AppleScript Studio to learn how to build stand-alone applications. Where you go from there depends on what you want to do. C/C++ to learn how to build plugins, Objective-C to learn more about Mac OS X development.

Chuck

Thanks so much Chuck! You really have given me a great outline of where to start. This is exactly what I was wanting - a rough idea of what to do first, next, etc. I think knowing more about Mac OS X as a starting point is an excellent idea. I am definitely going to follow the gist of your suggestions.

Peter

This topic is 7052 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.