Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Simple Find Question

This topic is 8164 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I haven't done this type of find before so I'm having some trouble. I want to be able to script a find to do a search by Cust ID#, that way when a customer calls and gives their ID#, I can just hit a button and find all of that customers previous calls by search for his/her ID#. Can anyone explain how to do this?

I assume you're looking at the customer record, that you have a file of calls, and that the two are related by CustomerID through a relationship called Calls. Use a Go to Related Record[show,Calls] script step to find all the calls made by the current customer. If your situation is different, please provide some more details.

I only have one database, in it is a Cust ID# field, the customer ID# is generated from another program all together. When they call we ask for their Cust ID# first, then create a new record which includes their Cust ID# and their problem/etc. I just want to do a simple search... Example...

Enter Find Mode (do I need to use restore?)

(search for all records with Customer ID# _paste from current record_)

Perform Find

Thanks for your prompt reply, I hope this clarifies my situation...

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: garrettks ]

You can still use a relationship to find your records. Create a relationship from CustomerID to itself. Call it Customer. Use Go to Related Record[show,Customer] to find all records with the same CustomerID as the current record.

If you want to use Perform Find, then you'll need a global field to get the ID from Browse mode to Find mode. Make the global the same type as the CustomerID field (ie, both number or both text). Here is a sample script:

Set Field[_whichID,CustomerID]

Enter Find Mode[]

Set Field[CustomerID,_whichID]

Perform Find[]

This topic is 8164 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.