Forcing Font Type

This topic is 8416 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When a user cuts text from their web browser and pastes that information into the database, the font style, type, etc follows it. I need to create a mailing list with this data and unfortunately the font settings stay with the pasted data. Is there a way in which I can force a field to a particular font type, style, etc?

Seems to me that the formatting associated with the field is applied to any text pasted into it. I copied the word "When" from your message and pasted it into a field in a Filemaker file formatted at 12pt Times New Roman plain text. Sure enough, that formatting was applied. Check that you have the field formatted to your specifications. Should work on either platform!

It is possible to paste styled text into filemaker with the style overriding the default style of the field. Since text calculations will strip the styling, you can make a simple calculated field:

UnStyledTextField, Text Calculation = PastedTextField

This will remove any styling.

there are three other solutions:

1. for already existing records, you can replace the field with a calculated result of itself (textfield = textfield). All styles will be gone.

2. for new records, you can paste the text with pressed alt-key (mac), then the text ist pasted without style. Shortcut is alt-command-v

3. You can do the pasting with a script, that uses the single step command paste. check the option "paste without style"

Have fun, Gerd

• Newbies

1. for already existing records, you can replace the field with a calculated result of itself (textfield = textfield). All styles will be gone.

I cannot get this to work. I go to RECORDS -> REPLACE, choose REPLACE WITH CALCULATED RESULT ... and type (fieldname = fieldname) where "fieldname" is, well ... my field name, e.g. "full text".

All I get is the number 1 in every record. I know it's me not getting it, but can you give me a little hint as to what im not getting :-)

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is 8416 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.