Disable window controls or create dialogue boxes

RWX

This topic is 7060 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello everyone. I'm building a multi-user system in FileMaker 7 and while I really appreciate being able to have multiple tables in a file and open multiple windows, I can't understand why FileMaker didn't add the ability to create dialogue box views in this latest version. I want to be able to pop open a window and prevent my user from accessing any other windows until he/she has performed a necessary task in this new window.

I've looked at the Troi Dialogue plugin, but it seems very cumbersome to me. I've also evaluated MenuControl and while I like being able to disable the window controls, there's no way to keep a user in the window. My current strategy has been to set error capture on and user abort off, then pause the script that opens the pop-up window. The problem with this is that sometimes I need to change views or trigger additional scripts that then require a pause. I'm then left trying to figure out how to exit or halt the scripts and get back to the right place...all of which is tedious and prone to error. I'd really like to find a plugin that allows me to create a dialogue box or lock a window until a script action unlocks it and allows the user to return to the rest of the database. Does such a product exist???

Thanks in advance!

-Rob

Rob,

You dont need a plugin to do what you want to do. You can open up a new window in FM7, with the pause/resume script - making the window "modal".

You can then script a submit buttons, that continues the pause command, and lets you return back to the original layout.

I've done this with FM6, many times - I will try and recreate this in FM7 when I have the time.

This topic is 7060 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.