Newbie XML/XSL Question for Amazon XML Data

Otis

This topic is 7061 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I saw QuinTech's post and sample file to Molloy in the forum here, and I have a similar newbie question.

I want to keep my book collection in FileMaker. I saw that amazon has tools for this, and their site can create an XML file for book data. I want to be able to type in my book's ISBN number and have FileMaker 7 pull all the data from amazon about my book so I don't have to enter the title, author, etc.

Just as a test, I wanted to pull just 3 fields from the online XML data file Amazon produces. (I wanted to pull the "Author", "Binding" and "Title".)

I am confused as to how to properly setup the XSL style sheet to pull just the field data I need.

I was wondering if anyone could help.

The XML file for a sample book (Plato's 'The Republic') is found via this HTTP link:

http://webservices.amazon.com/onca/xml?S...nseGroup=Medium

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

Regards,

O smile.gif

Hi, Otis. Take a look at Jay Welshofer's example in the FM XSLT Library with the name "Amzaon Web Service." That may help.

I tested it with the sample data you posted, and it didn't work; i suspect it maybe something in the XML itself, since an XSLT i wrote also didn't work. I will take a look into it and tell you what i find out.

In the meantime, take a look through that XSLT library. Lots of good stuff in there.

HTH,

Jerry

QuinTech, I checked out the example link, and even using it in its default format, I couldn't get it to work. I mean, I didn't even adjust anything on the sample file, just clicked the library.fp5 template file and nothing happens. Hmm....

I entered my Amazon Associates ID as well, as per the documentation, and still nothing.

Were you able to get the example file working and properly pulling data from Amazon into the sample file? (Again, no customization, just using the example file and not adjusting anything.)

No, i tested it with the sample data you posted, and it didn't work; i suspect it maybe something in the XML itself, since an XSLT i wrote also didn't work. Maybe Amazon has changed its XML output since this XSLT was written?

I meant to look into why it wasn't working over the weekend, but didn't have an opportunity. I'll try again this week, hopefully.

J

This topic is 7061 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.