Database Switching Issue

oscarbum

This topic is 7034 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

After fixing my previous problem, another has arisen. Basically, I need a button in my parent file to take the user to a layout in a child file. The most I can get FM to do is to open the child file and make the parent file blink. There must be one small step I'm skipping. Help?

1) Use the script step: Go to Related Record (This will allow you to make sure the child record is there before you go to it.)

2) Create a script step in the parent that will hide the window, or go to a blank layout, or both. using the Hide Status Area (lock) is also good if you are trying to keep users from accessing layouts or records.

3) Create a script in the child that will go to the layout you want. Make sure you add a script step here that will execute the external script in the parent file that you just created in step 2.

4) Create a script in the parent that will execute the external script stored in the child file that you just created in step 3. Make sure the script step in this script that runs that external script is the last script step or it will cause the parent file to redisplay itself at the front after all scripts complete their run.

5) Run the script from step 4 to get your process going. The result will be:

a) your parent file will reference the related child file

: you parent file will tell the child file to run its script

c) the child file will go to the specified layout

d) the child file will tell the parent file to hide/lock status/change layout

e) you should be left with only the child file displayed which is the result i think you are looking for.

This topic is 7034 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.