multiple records calculation problem

This topic is 7030 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

Hopefully you can give me a hand with this problem.

I'm making a database in Developer7 that has the following tables and fields:

Table #1 (SetUp)

ProjectName

Locations

Dates

Table #2 (Panelists)

Name

Address

City

State

Country

ZipCode

Phone

Email

Notes

OnPanels (a list of all panels that the panelist is on, based on the Events table. )

Table #3 (Events)

EventName

Description

Location (value list from SetUp::Locations)

Date (value list from SetUp::Dates)

StartTime (value list)

Duration (value list)

Moderator (value list from Panelists::Name)

Panelist1 (value list from Panelists::Name)

Panelist2 (value list from Panelists::Name)

Panelist3 (value list from Panelists::Name)

Panelist4 (value list from Panelists::Name)

Panelist5 (value list from Panelists::Name)

Panelist6 (value list from Panelists::Name)

Panelist7 (value list from Panelists::Name)

Panelist8 (value list from Panelists::Name)

I'm having trouble figuring out how to calculate the OnPanels field in Table#2 (the Panelists table). What would be the best way to do this?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

You need to create a join table: panelist_event, with two keys: panelistID and eventID. Then show a portal in Panelists from panelist_event. In the Events table you would have a portal (to panelist_event) where you would add the panelists.

To me does it looks like table 3 should be structured further - all the panels in a new table, wouldn't you get direct access to it then, either by ValuelistItems( or...: Explain the reasoning behind!

--sd

You need to create a join table: panelist_event, with two keys: panelistID and eventID. Then show a portal in Panelists from panelist_event. In the Events table you would have a portal (to panelist_event) where you would add the panelists.

That sounds great, but I'm having a little trouble implementing it (I must be messing up relationships somehow).

To me does it looks like table 3 should be structured further - all the panels in a new table, wouldn't you get direct access to it then, either by ValuelistItems( or...: Explain the reasoning behind!

--sd

I'm trying to make it easy for the users to add and subtract panelists from each event/panel and move the events/panels around in both location and time. The schedule will be changed by the programming committee at least a hundred times before it is finalized.

I'm still very much a FMpro newbie and if I'm gong about this the wrong way please let me know. I will be more than happy to change things around if it will make things run smoother. What changes would you make to table 3's structure?

This topic is 7030 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.