popup menu to auto-enter in text field

This topic is 8396 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by cheynooki:

Is it possible to set a pop-up menu to auto enter data into a separate text field? I have a pop-up menu with 14 different values ... when I pull down to one of the entries, I would like the DB to auto-enter a few lines of text into a separate field in the same DB. Each value of the pop-up menu would call a different string of text to be entered in the text field. Where could the "conditional text" be stored while awaiting auto-entry (in invisible field(s))? Thanks in advance for any help. -George-

Create a new database with fourteen records and two fields. Field one holds one of your values in the value list. Field two holds the string of text associated with the value in field one. Each record hods one value and string. Then in your original database, set a relationship that matches the value in the popup field to the value in field one of the new data base. In the string field, set it to lookup the value in field two of the new database. Now when you select a value, the string field looks up the string associated with that value.

One last thing: make your value list based on field one in the new database. That way, if you need additional or different values and strings you just add or edit respective record in the new database.

• Newbies

Hi there ... boy there's some bright folks out here! Great ideas ... been helped many times off other people's questions. Now it's my turn ... Ok, simply put ... Is it possible to set a pop-up menu to auto enter data into a separate text field? I have a pop-up menu with 14 different values ... when I pull down to one of the entries, I would like the DB to auto-enter a few lines of text into a separate field in the same DB. Each value of the pop-up menu would call a different string of text to be entered in the text field. Where could the "conditional text" be stored while awaiting auto-entry (in invisible field(s))? Thanks in advance for any help. -George-

• Newbies

Yup ... sometimes you just need to be bonked on the head with the "relational database" idea! :-) Thanks Moon. Works like a charm. I was so busy "keeping it all in one place", that I overlooked the simple solution of using two DBs. Again ... BONK. Thanks. smile.gif" border="0

This topic is 8396 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.