Setting Up Email for From and Reply-to

Cyont

This topic is 7022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, C! If you use ScriptMaker for e-mailing, I think FM just passes basic field info to your default e-mail client so you may have better luck adjusting header info from that rather than from FileMaker. There are also commericial FileMaker plug-ins available with more mail handling options that might do what you want, but I don't have much experience with those since we don't do a lot of mailing. ScriptMaker's been OK for us. I've heard that folks who do do a lot of mail, though, really like the plug-ins.

--ST

Plugins are great if you want to e-mail from FM. The SMTPit and POP3it plugins are great. But basic e-mailing using the Send Mail step is passed to your e-mail client like Steve said. Just specify the fields for To, From Cc, subject and body in the Send Mail dialog.

In 6 there was the Send Message step that worked better than Send Mail, but I don't even see it in 7.

The old "Send Message" thing in FM6 was, in my opinion, poorly named. In v7 it is called "Send Event" which more closely describes what it does. Perhaps an even better name might have been "Send Command" because it really just sends a command to the operating system.

I'm running on Windows XP with Outlook and I do not use Send Mail. Instead I use Send Event with the syntax "mailto:[email protected]".

The reason I use Send Event rather than Send Mail is because Outlook will include my signature in the body of the message whereas Send Mail doesn't. I don't know why this is.

I agree with the others; if you want to control the FROM value then you need to look at a plug-in.

This topic is 7022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.