simple print script... no records found

This topic is 7011 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ok. i have a very simple print script set up in my database.

Show All Records

Omit Record

Show Omitted

Enter Preview Mode [Pause]

Print

Enter Browse Mode

When this is run there should always be 1 record in the found set when it gets to the Preview Mode step. What could possibly cause it to have no records in the found set when it gets to the Preview Mode step?

Filemaker 6 on Windows 2000

If it were me, I'd perform the script steps manually, one at a time, by going under "Records" in the menu. Then see what you end up with after your 3rd step "Show Omitted Only". This is the same as running the script to that point, but you see the results of each step.

Good Luck!

Well, it should work, but you could actually end up with more than one record found, if the file is multi-user. A more reliable method is to create a self-relationship based on the serial and use a Go to Related Record [show only related, "selfserial"] step to isolate the current record.

If a record is created by someone else, between the omit and show omitted steps, you would end up with your original record plus the newly created one. Rare but possible.

What do you get if you halt the script after the Show Omitted step?

An alternative solution would be to replace the Show/Omit/Show steps with:

Go to Related Record [show, self]

Where "self" is a self-relationship based on the serial number -- you do have some kind of unique ID, I hope?

If a record is created by someone else, between the omit and show omitted steps, you would end up with your original record plus the newly created one. Rare but possible.

True, good catch, -Queue-! I hadn't thought of the possibility of a record being created during the running of the script. But I'm still puzzled as to why NO records are found.

ok... a few things to report... after a little more digging, i realized that the problem only occurs when logging into the database through citrix metaframe (We use the whole seemless windows thing, so sometimes it totally slips my mind that I'm working through metaframe). And we have had some lag issues with this that have caused wierd problems before, so this may have something to do with that.

but I changed the script to use "Go to related record" and so far it seems to be working fine.

This topic is 7011 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.