Filemaker Pro 6 Won't even start up!!

This topic is 7013 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I really hope some one can shed some light on my problem, even though I highly doubt it. Let me first start off by saying I really truly hate filemaker and think

it is a sub-par application and have absolutely no clue how anyone can even

consider using it for anything important. Any application that runs as lousy and

crashes as often as this should never be used for anything important...

Ok so after getting that out of my system. We have a bunch of old old old windows

machines here that do nothing other than run filemaker web companion...

They're junk...I want to replace them with virtual pc's. So using the Qemu

virtual pc, I was able to install windows and filemaker quite easily.

Here's the problem. I install windows 95 and filemaker and everyhting works

pretty well, except for the fact that web companion isn't supported on windows

95. So I tried windows 2000. Everything installs fine, but when I go to start

up filemaker, it bombs out during the "initialization". It makes it through all of the fonts, but crashes after that. So I tried installing it on windows nt4.0 and the same thing happens!!!

I would try windows 98, but I don't have any copies laying around here. It's the weirdest thing, everything else installs and runs fine, just filemaker won't!

It's got plenty of ram and disk space. I haven't tried running it on vmware's

virtual machine yet...

Anyways, does anyone know what filemaker is supposed to be "initializing" right after the fonts??!?! It generates some sort of Dr. Watson error, but that is totally useless. It says something about InitSoundVars or something. Google had

nothing when I typed in that phrase.

Anyone able to shed some light on this subject at all?:(:?:?

Thanks,

Doug

Doug, let me first start off by saying i really truly hate people who start off requests for help by saying "You guys probably aren't smart enough to help me and the product you are here for sucks."

That's not true, i don't hate you. Maybe you are just used to hanging out with a Linux crowd, many of whom seem to spend 75% of their time whining about how Windows is the worst OS ever written. (Got your hackles up, right? Object lesson in why that's a bad way to start a post.)

As for your question: Right around the time you are seeing FM fail, it is probably trying to write to the registry. FM is a very registry-dependent application. Are you running this on regular PCs or virtual PCs? That may have something to do with it.

Write down those error messages next time you see them. It is possible someone here has seen them before.

They're junk...I want to replace them with virtual pc's. So using the Qemu

virtual pc...

I think the problem is that nothing here resembles a supported configuration.

-Stanley

This topic is 7013 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.