Call Log - Automatically adding data to a field

This topic is 8353 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Maybe you can use javascript. I'm not a web companion expert.

Otherwise:

There is a technique that uses calculation fields and auto-enter lookup fields to do some of the things that you would normally do with a script. Once you get it set up it's like magic. The trouble is, it's probably the most incredibly complicated thing you can do with filemaker calculations. There is a very simple example on http://www.databasepros.com that uses this technique to reformat a phone number. You can download the example files:

Mac: http://www.best.com/~jmo/FORMAT.sit

Windows: http://www.best.com/~jmo/FORMAT.zip

Also, I have done a more complex example that automatically logs changes made to a record. It is a bit closer to what you are trying to do. I can email it to you if you like.

quote:

Originally posted by Jeremy:

...The consolidated information would be added to the top of a field that may already contain data. Basically keeping a record of all previous entries to that record...I am sure this is possible with scripts, but since the web companion will not run scripts I am lost.

There is a lot of stuff in this forum providing reasons for not using scripts over the web, but you CAN do it...the primary problem is the possibility that the scripts will 'collide', causing you to think a record was updated when it wasn't and other gory stuff...unless your server is just so overwhelmed with hits that any milliseconds of script time is likely to cause a collision, you shouldn't have problems having a short, fast script that just copies and pastes a little data. I run scripts all the time with no problems. Use -script, and avoid -script.PreFind and -script.PreSort.

BTW - Javascript would work well here too. tongue.gif" border="0

• Newbies

Hi,

I am new to creating databases and I seem to have been given a task that Filemaker 5 pro can not accomplish when used with the web companion. I hope someone will tell me otherwise.

I am trying to automatically update a field without losing the data already there.

Ideally, The user would

1. Fillout a few fields.

2. These fields would then be consolidated into one.

3. The consolidated information would be added to the top of a field that may already contain data. Basically keeping a record of all previous entries to that record.

4. The data in the original fields are deleted.(This is not necessary, the user can just type over it).

I am sure this is possible with scripts, but since the web companion will not run scripts I am lost.

Help PLEASE!!!

Jeremy : shocked.gif" border="0crazy.gif" border="0

This topic is 8353 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.