Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Changing file names?

This topic is 7008 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database in Filemaker 6 which contains the following files:

"members.fp5"

"events.fp5"

"feedback.fp5"

What I want to do is change the file name of the "members" file to "contacts.fp5"

The question i have is, since there are scripts, calculations and maybe even some formulas contained in the "events" and "communications" files which relate to the "members" file, will they still work? Does Filemaker 6 know to automatically update the referred-to filenames within the dependent scripts when/if i change the "members" filename to "contacts"?

Thanks!

No, the file renaming tool is only provided in the Developer version (they need some way to differentiate the products).

Without Developer, the only method is to change the file name then run all scripts and check all relationships and value lists in all the other files.

Eclipse:

You indicate you are using FMP6; to do it the easy way you need FileMaker Developer 6. If you upgrade to version 7, you still need Developer, only it would be FileMaker Developer 7. (Unless you do it manually, as Vaughan suggested you could.)

-Stanley

vaughan stated:

"Without Developer, the only method is to change the file name then run all scripts and check all relationships and value lists in all the other files."

Hi Eclipse

To add to what Vaughan said, be sure to remove any other versions or copies of these files from your hard drive (or any drive connected), before doing this. Just one stray copy of one of the files can spell disaster.

Lee

cool.gif

It's been a long time since I've had to do this, but if I recall correctly, it's not as bad as it sounds, because after you are prompted to locate the missing file the first time, I believe FM is smart enough to remember the change when it encounters the missing file in other scripts and relationships.

This topic is 7008 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.