IWP Limitations?

This topic is 6924 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've recently migrated a large student records system from FM3 to FM7. However, the budgetary powers-that-be, upon reading FM's marketing spiel about FM Server 7 Advanced's web publishing features, only budged for a handful of copies of the client. Thus, I need to get a lot of stuff web-enabled.

The trouble I'm running in to is that FM doesn't seem to be able to display any info from more than one file. I can display info from other tables in the file, but that helps me not, as our converted files have only one table each.

Is FM really not capable of displaying the contents of related fields from other files in online layouts? Does this not defeat the entire purpose of a relational database?

Any suggestions? Is there anyway to copy/import an entire related table from one file to another?

You might want to check that your file references are correct for the converted files... Is this problem specific to the web, or is it seen on local files and client-server setups as well?

You can definitely see information from any file you want, I have a 6 file solution that I upgraded from v5.5 to 7 without a hitch. (except that there were a lot of extra file references that slowed things down) Deleting all the unnecesary ones helped the speed) Eventually I moved everything into a rebuilt one file setup mainly to consolidate accounts and privileges.

As far as I can tell, all of my file references are correct -- the files work properly when accessed w/ the FMP client app. Do file references have to follow a particular format to make IWP happy?

This has proven to be a huge problem for me, as our database solution is far too large and complex for me to shift it all into one file w/o some sort of automated tool.

Do you have IWP turned on in every file?

You have to make sure that the extended privileges are set up for every account that you're going to use via the web.

I've run into the problem where IWP is enabled only for certain privilege sets in a related file, so when someone else logs in, they can't see the related data.

Ed,

you could be a fighting problem I also just stumbled upon: never, never place "anything releated" in the header section of the layout, it just doesn't work in IWP. I had similar problems, and as soon as I moved the problematic drop-down lists (which are based on releations) and portals to the body everything was fine.

It seems that the way to work with IWP is in form view, using only a body part.

Ed M.. i have run into the same problem you have.

I was trying to use separate files (one with only data and one containing the layouts scripts) however the file containing the layouts etc was unable to pull from the data file in IWP. throughout the network within the plant however the solution worked fine... This may be a problem with IWP i can not say for sure though

as for consolidating tables into one file I have used FM Robot. Its a very nice program and i think its exactly what you are looking for. you can find it @ http://www.newmillennium.com/ its under the FileMaker Developer tools.

Hopen this helps

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if this issue was ever resolved?

I have run across the exact same problem: I have a file reference that works when opening the application in FMP (remote or locally), but not when accessed in IWP.

I have tried making sure that all the permissions, and IWP privileges are set, and the external file is residing in the same place as the main file, so I only use the "file:" for the file reference. Like I said, the only place it doens't work is IWP.

Consolidation isn't really an option for me; I have multiple applications accessing the external file.

If anyone has found a solution, or if this has become a known bug to Server Advance, let me know please.

I had problems with this too.

I have a main file that everyone logs into with their own account, and a related reference file that has guest access enabled for read only.

In Filemaker client this works fine, but in IWP no data appeared from the related file.

Then I created identical user accounts/passwords in the related file, and after that it works fine. Painful though, I could do without the duplication of account settings.

Cheers,

Sean.

This topic is 6924 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.