problem with repeating fields

This topic is 8346 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am an artist, and I have two inter-related databases to manage my art inventory. The first database is called "Art Inventory" and the second is called "Art Competitions". I list all my art works in "Art Inventory", and all the competitions I enter are listed in "Art Competitions". When I submit slides of an art work to a competition, it is listed in a repeating field called SLIDES SENT (field values here are auto-defined by the ART TITLE field from the other "Art Inventory" database). Multiple and unique entries are made in SLIDES SENT.(I send duplicate slides to different venues). What I can not figure out is how to have each unique venue (to which I send slides) automatically appear in the SUBMISSION HISTORY repeating field in the "Art Inventory" database. I can not get multiple venues to appear in the repeating field. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: nate99 ]

quote:

Originally posted by nate99:

I am an artist, and I have two inter-related databases to manage my art inventory. The first database is called "Art Inventory" and the second is called "Art Competitions". I list all my art works in "Art Inventory", and all the competitions I enter are listed in "Art Competitions". When I submit slides of an art work to a competition, it is listed in a repeating field called SLIDES SENT (field values here are auto-defined by the ART TITLE field from the other "Art Inventory" database). Multiple and unique entries are made in SLIDES SENT.(I send duplicate slides to different venues). What I can not figure out is how to have each unique venue (to which I send slides) automatically appear in the SUBMISSION HISTORY repeating field in the "Art Inventory" database. I can not get multiple venues to appear in the repeating field. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: nate99 ]

Well, this doesn't sound like you should be using repeating fields for SUBMISSION HISTORY in the Art Inventory database. It sounds like you should be using a portal. That should solve your problem (assuming you know how to use portals). If you want details let me know okay?

• Newbies

Thanks! Yes, I experimented with Portals, but I didn't get the results I expected. I assumed I needed a calculation to get the Venues listed in SUBMISSION HISTORY. Portals do not seem to work that way. How would I get the various Venue names from the different records in Art Competitions to appear in one portal in Art Inventory? (Now I am thinking that I probably have a less than intermediate understanding of FM!)

This topic is 8346 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.