Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Newbie in trouble - TIFF Files in WinPC

This topic is 6936 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello-

This might not be to difficult, but I've been struggling for a while now.

I have a db hosted in Mac OSX shared over a LAN with several WinPCs as clients. I use FMP7. The clients in the WinPCs are not able to "see" many images in the Container Fields. Instead, there a message that reads "QuickTime and a TIFF (uncompressed) descompressor are needed to see this picture" or "QuickTime and TIFF (LZW) decompressor are needed to see this picture".

Now, I CAN see these images in the Mac, I figured the PC had something missing, so I installed QuickTime onto the PCs, but I still have the problem.

I've read in this forums that FM has "issues" with Photoshop and certain TIFF formats, and I'm pretty sure some of my images were "tuned" in Photoshop. I even found this article < http://filemaker.com/ti/101408.html > but it applies to FM5 and it's from 1998, I'm sure there's been advances in FM by now.

I need the guys at the PCs to be able to see the pictures so they con work on the files and mine being a quite large database I would certainly be afraid of converting ALL the pictures to a different format, so I wonder:

1) Is there any plug-in or whatever I could install in the WinPCs in order to see these types of files?

or

2) Do I have to absolutely change the file format? If so, is there an "automated" way of doing this? (all my pictures are embended, not referenced). Something like a script or some 3rd party software that would do the job?

I've tried to find a solution to this for quite some time now, so any shed of light will be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rick.

Thanks for your response transpower.

Actually, some of the TIFFs work fine (in both Mac and PC - very few). All though in the Mac they all work. The thing, I think, has got to do with the LZW compression embended in some TIFF files. I'm hoping:

1) there's some kind of "add-on" that would enable the PCs to see all the images, as in the Mac.

or

2) there's an automated process to "convert" (or re-encode) all the embended images in a FMP7 db without reloading the source files again. I don't have many of the originals.

Thanks again!

Rick.

You're right that there are different kinds of TIFF's--so that may be the problem, although I've never personally not have a TIFF come in to a container field properly. Don't know of an "add-on." Don't know of an automatic way to re-encode embedded images, but you might want to check out Troi.

Well, I think we HAVE to edit the pictures format in order to make them viewable in a PC. It look as if Windows doesn't "have" the decompressors for all images.

Anyway, I'm working on a script that involves AppleScripting to acomplish exporting and importing back the images, and since I'm not to familiar with AppleScript I doing trying and error mostly. I'm not quite done still, but I'd be happy to help when I figure it out.

Rick

I'm sure it would! But I have the batch-converting covered with Photoshop Actions (scripts). Unless you mean GraphicConverter can import/export from/to FileMaker, which is my mayor problem, since I haven't found a way to easily accomplish this.

However, after some scripting with AppleScript, I did manage to do it and I found (I hope this helps other people) that the problem is not an "format" issue per se... what I mean is that I got the same error in the PCs with JPG files. The thing is that when if I put the image files (JPG or TIFF or PDF) into FileMaker by doing a Command-C (Copy) the source and Command-V (Paste) in the database container (even drag-and-drop from any Internet Browser -On a Mac) the PC doesn't recognize the format. However, if I take the same file and use the Insert Picture... command on the Insert menu on FileMaker the pictures work fine!... I guess that what the menus are for, huh?

It seems to me the Mac uses a LZW compressor to capture images via Copy/Paste that is not compatible in Windows. Something to do with QuickTime, perhaps.

So, I wrote a (very basic, almost embarrassing, out-of-pure-trial-and-error-beginers-luck-but-it-worked-at-the-end) script, and got the job done!

If someone knows of a better way, please share it! 'cause this was to much time consuming for me.

Cheers!

Hey transpower! I was just reviewing the posts and it just hit me!

I have XP and inserting TIFF's and QuckTime files works fine. Try "Insert File" into the container field and see what happens.

The Insert File is the way to go. I totally missed what you meant with this post.

And to think you had nailed the problem some headaches ago.

Thanks anyway!

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

Thank you for discusssing this problem, I am dealing with the same when migrating from Mac to Win. But I did not understand really what to do. Where is this "insert file" command? I could not find it. Sorry, that I am so stupid.

W. Albrecht

This topic is 6936 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.