Server Maintenance This Week. ×

I Need Help With SubSummary Report

BKWill

This topic is 7007 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I've been building a Marketing DB and I need some help on "How To" create SubSummary Report using Data from a Portal. I've included a copy of the DB that I'm working on for review.

I understand relationships, but I'm having an awful time understanding how to get that information to work for me. I have four table: Tastemakaers, Clients, Tracking, Products; and I'm trying to creat a report system that displays the following information per Tastemaker:

Company Name

First/Last Name

Address 1

Address 2

City/State/Zip

-----------------

( I'm assuming Portal Data of: )

Client 1

Date Album Sent (If Sent At All)

Date EP

Date Single

Date Record

Date Video

Date Promo Items

Date Tix Requested

Comments -( This Feild displays the repsones the tastemakers had towards the items that were sent to them)

---

Client 2

Date Album Sent (If Sent At All)

Date EP

Date Single

ect. ect. ect.

The idea is that Each Tastemkaer should have a list of all the clients and the product fields even if no products were sent yet. So that at anytime an entry could be made indicating the date a product was sent, and the response we received about the product.

I've recently upgraded from FM 5.5 because my current DB requires me to add 14 fields for each new client (7 regular fields and 7 calculated fields), I was hoping there was an easier way to just be able to add a new client by adding their name to a table. Maybe this is not the case?

I'm in desperate need of help as I can't seem to figure it out. Anything anyone can do here to help out would be great!! I've included a list below of the bands I work for, and I'll gladly send you any of the music or tickets to their next show that comes to your area. I don't have any money to pay anyone, but I really need to build this DB. If I could do something for you in exchange for help I will.

Thank You

Will

Maximo Park * The Dears *Bloc Party * RJD2 * The Streets * Death From Above 1979 * Mellowdrone*

Model_DB.fp7.zip

The graph you have made suggests that you have a star relationship where Tracking is the join table. You need to put the dates and comments in this table. The report would be generated from this table. The report you want requires that you generate all the possible records for this table.

My question is this the best method. Do you realy have a many to many relationship between Tastemakaers & Clients? Do you have a many to many relationship between Tastemakaers & Products? Do you have a many to many relationship between Clients & Products?

Thanks Ralph for your reply. A typical situation is that a Tastemaker is sent several different products from any of my given clients. Each time they receive a product they respond to a small survey and I have to record their responses in the comments field. I could mail a tastemaker an EP one month, and the full length album the next, and when the band is on tour I could mail promo items as well. You can see from my list that I have plenty of clients. Currently their are about 6 items that I mail. I need to be able to generate a report for each client of all of the responses they recieved from each tastemaker that was sent a product.

This gives me a little more insight to your needs. As I see it now, a client has many products but a product has only one client, i.e., a single for one client is different from a single for another. (What is an EP?) Is this correct?

I see a many to many relationship between client and tastemaker. (Not sure what a tastemaker is.)

I think I also see a many to many relationship between tastemaker & product.

Do you agree with this?

I thought it might help if saw the previos DB I've been forced to work with, and why I want to change over so badly. It's been converted to Filemaker 7 but orginially came from FM 5.5 and was put together by a partner I no longer work with.

You will notice that on the Tracking Layout there are 4 clients, each client has a list of products with a calculation field attached to a check box. When selected the current date appears in the box, all responses are cut and paste into the comments box. The Tastemaker Info at the top are all merge fields.

I have to create 19 fields every time I want to add a new client, and I can't help but think there is a better way. I know my way around FM, but I've never had to build anything from the ground up. I hope this helps you to understand my question above.

If you can think of a better way to do just this, that would be perfect. You can see what direction I'm going in and I'll gladly switch to a better system.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort in helping me.

Cheers,

Will

MarketingList.fp7.zip

Yes I aggree with you on the relationships.

Tastemkaer= anyone who play the music we send them in public place, their place of business, and talk about it with their friends. It could be anyone really. Most of the people are folks who work in Bars, Clubs, Book Stores, Cafes, Malls. ect.

EP= A short release of songs about 4 or 5 tracks, not a full album which should have at least 10 or more tracks.

Record= Old School for all of our DJs we send music to.

Album= is just the regular CD we send out.

Ralph, you are the MAN!! My email is [email protected] send me your address, and I'll send you some music, and depending on where you are at, I may be able to get you some tickets to shows. I haven't gone through all of it, but I can see what you did and it's amazing!! It would have taken me forever to come up with that. SERIOUSLY!!! You are a kind person, and that is great what you did.

I'm very good at design and webpages and CSS, if you ever need some help with that let me know. My music job doesn't always pay the bills, and so I work as a designer to supplement my income.

If I have any questions I'll let you know. MY IM is BKDark75 I'm almost always online feel free to pop in and say hello.

Will

Brooklyn, NY

This topic is 7007 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.