Forecast model on Filemaker data

This topic is 6948 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A friend of mine has his sales information in FM 5.5. I created a forecasting model with PHP/MySQL, exporting and importing data via CSV files. The model is working great and we'd like to put things in daily operation. We're not sure what to do: re-programming the model in FM, or linking up FM/PHP. What's your take based on your experience? Does FX.php work on FM 5.5?

We can not access the web companion with the url. We did replace the <myip>, <port> and <mydb> fields. We think the plugin is not activated, so we'll check that first. Is there an easy step-by-step instruction how to activate and configure the plugin? BTW: it's FM 5.5 Server.

RE: Unlimited

Ha! Well, the first version of FM w/built-in web publishing was FM4 and it was unlimited... I thought it was the coolest thing ever. When FM5 came out, FM Inc. decided to limit client versions of FM to a limited number of IP addresses (10?) in a 12-hour roll-over period and said it was primarily for intranet use on the LAN. If you wanted to run a internet website, you would have to get the FMP Unlimited version ($$) but there was pretty much no difference between the two except for a bundled utility called Web Server Connector. Now, FM7 offers FM7 Server Advanced for web publishing ($$$).

--ST

Now after that commercial break...

back to his questions

To configures the WebCompanion.

Under Preferences -> Application

On the Plug-Ins Tab

Make sure the box is checked beside Web Companion (if you don't see it listed, you need to find it and move it to your 'Filemaker Extensions' folder)

Double click the 'Web Companion' on the plug-ins tab (or select it and click configure...

Make sure Enable Instant Web Publishing is checked and then use filemaker pro access privileges (unless you know how to use the security databases)

Now do what Gary said above.

Cheers

Thanks for the step-by-step instruction! B)

As you may have understood I am quite a newbie on FM, and I am trying to get it clear... so this will also update the database on the server to all other clients, right? Or is there more to do to get that done?

If this is all we have to do, I guess we shouldn't go through all the hassle by reprogramming the model into Filemaker, but just use the PHP/MySQL model and link things up via FX.php.

You can do a lot via PHP,

The question of database user interface is a key deciding factor. Filemaker provides some eligant tools for a very userfriendly interface to any database.

Some programming may need to be done in filemaker, and fx.php is a big help in talking to the databases.

Good luck

Theere is no user interfacing in the forecasting model. We dump data in csv files from the FM database, the PHP model puts that in MySQL and calculates forecasts.

At the moment we're making prints and typing the forecasts in the FM user interface... We'd like to feed that information automatically, and have the users overrule the forecasts if needed in the FM application they use for their daily business.

So all user interaction is in the FM application, none in the forecast model.

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed FX.php and got it to connect to a test system (PIII, 400Mhz, 160MB) we've set up to develop the link. I activated the plugin and made the databases available for sharing. The php program can list the databases and the layouts, but reading data is taking ages...

This morning the program ran 3,5 hours, and it wasn't even finished. FM Pro keeps on processing. Based on the documentation, I think it has to do with the layout. I don't have access to the layouts, so I cant set up a specific one for the model.

Can the layout be the problem here, or is the test system too minimal?

I've installed FX.php and got it to connect to a test system (PIII, 400Mhz, 160MB) we've set up to develop the link. I activated the plugin and made the databases available for sharing. The php program can list the databases and the layouts, but reading data is taking ages...

This morning the program ran 3,5 hours, and it wasn't even finished. FM Pro keeps on processing. Based on the documentation, I think it has to do with the layout. I don't have access to the layouts, so I cant set up a specific one for the model.

This topic is 6948 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.