Creating a multi page invoice layout.

Chris Good

This topic is 6972 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I want to create a printable invoice. I think I should probably be using sub-summary parts, but I am having trouble figuring that out.

I have an orders table and an invoices table that are related using a unique invoice number. The orders table has the individual line items that go on the invoices and then the invoices table does a lot of the calculations such as totals, tax, etc.

I think the layout should be based on the orders table. But what type of section do I put the line item info into, and what section do I put the total calc fields into?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Ralph,

I think I've got that much of it, but what type of section do I put the line items into? I want the totals to print on the last page of the invoice. I tried putting the line items in the body and that got some of the desired result, but then I am not sure where to put the totals.

Actually the line items print requirement is outmoded advice based on limitations that no longer exist. It is still useful but no longer necessary. In FM7 you can break up portals and for instance place rows 1 thru 10 on page 1 and size your layout to 2 pages or whatever and then place rows 11 thru 30 (for example) on page 2.

Thanks for all of the ideas guys. I decided to use the trailing grand summary idea and it is working really well for me now.

The one question I came up with though was is there a way to have a field print at the bottom of the last page? I used the footer, but that prints at the bottom of all of the pages and the trailing grand summary prints directly under the body on the last page. Maybe I am being picky.

Create a global number field and set it with the total number of pages using

Enter Preview Mode [ ]

Go to Record/Request/Page [Last]

Set Field [globalnumber; Get(PageNumber)]

Then use an unstored calculation field of

Case( Get(PageNumber) = globalnumber; FieldToBePrinted )

and put it in the footer.

This topic is 6972 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.