Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sorry-ole one company, many locations problem-agai

blomgren

This topic is 6999 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ender replied to this with

"

You should relate Contact directly to Company by CompanyID, keep the relationship between Company and Location, and add a second table occurrence of Location and relate that to Contact by Location Ref.

What this gives you is:

A Company can have many Locations.

A Company has many Contacts.

A Location can be used by many Contacts for a Company.

On the Contact layout, you can choose the Location (use a conditional value list to show just the Locations for that Contact's Company.)

Then using the Location by Contact TO, show the related Location fields on the Contact layout."

And this is as close to wrapping my brain without using a rolling pin. Can you help me in terms of Students Schools Code

I have been trying to follow the Invoice InvLineItems Products

But this refers back to another DB that would be Contacts. I want my main input page to be my Students file and get a pre-entered School_name and School_code

Please forgive me if I am re-posting. I am confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifdrowning in a sea of frustration and data!

Thank you!

DistrictwideDatabase.zip

I don't think the Contact-Company-Location model fits here, as Schools don't have multiple Locations. Or were you trying to do something else?

It sounds like the main thing you are trying to accomplish is a value list of School Codes with the name of the School, so a simple value list based on the fields School ID with School Name from a Schools file would work.

Hmm, on second thought, since schools don't really change their names, it would be simpler to just use a value list of the School Names from a School file to populate the School Name fields in your files. The main advantage to using a School file here, is to allow you to add schools in one place, rather than in each file's value lists.

I think I am getting closer and you are really helping me a lot. I have 7 schools in the district. I want to enter the name of the school the student is attending in the student's file (via value list) however I need to associate the name with a school_ID number so that I can then have that as a password or a key. Or am I making this more complicated than it needs to be? crazy.gif

This topic is 6999 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.