Server Maintenance This Week. ×

how much faster is FMS7?

Jodin

This topic is 6996 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

OK, who wants to put up some general statements on the speed of server7 versus server5/6?

our solution would require 10-20 concurrent users and is a basic small-business app. i'm interested in the speed of LAN FMP clients, WAN FMP clients, and the new webserver in 7.

I don't know exactly. I've seen some comparisons, and it appeared that some things were a little slower on 7, some things were a little faster; but anything having to do with Unstored fields, related fields, etc., was much faster.

WAN speeds are many times faster. It is now quite usable over a WAN, whereas 6 was pretty (real) slow. And there are many more things you can do from a client machine.

I host just over 320 tables on 3 servers (all Mac OSX FM7 two duel G5s and 1 dual G4). They are servering >20GB of data to a group of >120 people. Like Fenton and COmputer Geek said, I have also found 7 faster than 6 for related database searched and big file searches and file manipulations. The screen updates and menu list drops seem slower which gives it a perception of slower database, but I wouldn't go back. 7 is definitely worth it.

This topic is 6996 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.