Server Maintenance This Week. ×

serialized list trouble

This topic is 6999 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

can't seem to make the Get (RecordNumber) do what it is supposed to. I have a calc field defined as a number Get (RecordNumber). from everything it says this field should change as the record is included in a found set or sorted in one. I set up and attached a test Db that has an auto enter serial field and a calc field as I described. Of course when I created 26 records in a row the numbers were the same. BUT if I find one record the calc field should show 1 regardless of the value of the number in the other field, isn't that correct? So if I find four records and view as a list the calc field should show 1,2,3,4, right? It doesn't, the calc field is not indexed but the number never changes. Thanks for any help this is buggin the crap out of me.

test.fp7.zip

The Get(RecordNumber) function returns the current record number in the current found set. The operative word here is current. There is only ever one of those, regardless of how many times you call the function. Likely all four of your calc fields will change to the same value as you scroll through the found set.

Are you trying to add a sequence number to records in the found set?

Cheers,

John.

• Newbies

Thanks and Yes to both of your answers, did you look at the file I sent? The calculation is unstored and yes I am trying to add a sequence number. jrb, according to the description of the function it is the current placement in the found set, so if you flip through a found set that should not change them, however if you resort them then they should change.

This topic is 6999 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.