Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Understanding FMPro 7 Online

This topic is 6995 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've been milling around this forum trying to understand some of the newer "features" of FileMaker Pro 7. It all started because my boss bought a copy of FMPro7 (and she loves it) and wants me to create a front end for it for the web. I tried to create a test html page and put it into the Web directory of my FileMaker Pro 7 directory and then access it through a web browser. It didn't work like some of the stuff I've done in FileMaker 5 and 6! (URL: <port>/FMPro?-db<dbName.fp7>&-format=...)'>http://<host>:<port>/FMPro?-db<dbName.fp7>&-format=...)

So if I have understood what's going on in FM7 (as well as what isn't), there is no more CDML. Any "customized" interaction with a FM7 database through a web browser must be done in XML (and XSLT -- whatever that is) or PHP. Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

You can only use Instant Web Publishing (IWP) with FM7 unless you have FM7 Server Advanced (FM7SA). However, FMWebSchool are about to release a tool for using Custom Web Publishing (CWP), PHP not CDML, with FM7.

FM7SA CWP returns the data in XML format. Hence, you can use XSLT or "middleware" to transform the XML into other formats, such as HTML.

All the best.

Garry

This topic is 6995 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.