Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Connect to ODBC source on a different machine

This topic is 6973 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been able to establish the odbc connection on my server correctly for both User and System DSN. However, Crystal Reports is on my local computer, so I somehow have to get my client computer to have the ODBC drivers oh it. I try and setup the same thing using the server name and port 2399 but it gives me "authorization failed." any idea why I would get that. I'm an administrator and I also have the FM7 ODBC turned on. Any help would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'll give it a shot. I will list the things that need to be done. If you have already done them, great. If not, you will need to.

FM Server>properties>client tab>enable client service button - check the box to allow ODBC and JDBC connections.

In the FM file you want to make a connection to File>Define>Accounts&Privileges on the extended privileges tab [fmxdbc] has a privilege set assinged.

Install the ODBC driver on the machine that has Crystal Reports. Configure the driver as either a user or system DSN. Enter a name for the DSN, enter the IP of the FM Server, port 2399, the name of the file you want to connect to. Press the test connect button, enter the user name and password for the privilege set you assigned to [fmxdbc]. If you have done this correct, a connection will be established.

You can then use this DSN for Crystal.

Good Luck

OK, I'll give it a shot. I will list the things that need to be done. If you have already done them, great. If not, you will need to.

FM Server>properties>client tab>enable client service button - check the box to allow ODBC and JDBC connections.

In the FM file you want to make a connection to File>Define>Accounts&Privileges on the extended privileges tab [fmxdbc] has a privilege set assinged.

Install the ODBC driver on the machine that has Crystal Reports. Configure the driver as either a user or system DSN. Enter a name for the DSN, enter the IP of the FM Server, port 2399, the name of the file you want to connect to. Press the test connect button, enter the user name and password for the privilege set you assigned to [fmxdbc]. If you have done this correct, a connection will be established.

Good Luck

Good Luck

I have followed first three steps. Now i am creating a DSN using IP of FM Server for 'SequeLink Server Host'. While selecting 'Server Data Source', it gives an error 'SequeLink Error: 2306 [DataDirect][ODBC SequeLink driver][sequeLink Client]TCP/IP error, connection refused'. What should be the reason for this? Will you please guide me.

Thanx

I have hosted the database file on FM Server and wants to access it through FM Pro application. I will list down the steps i have followed.

1. Create a database file with an account assigned with fmxdbx Extended Privilege. Turned On 'ODBC/JDBC' sharing. Moved this file to Filemaker Server7/ Data/Databases folder.

2. FM Server>properties>client tab>enable client service button - check the box to allow ODBC and JDBC connections.

3. Installed 'ODBC client driver' on Client m/c with FM Pro application.

4. Create DSN (on Client m/c) . Here i am entering IP of FM Server for 'Sequellink Server host'. 'SequelLink server port -2399', 'Server data source - Filename (without extension)'. When i click on 'test Connect' button, it gives the error

SequeLink Error: 2306

[DataDirect][ODBC SequeLink driver][sequeLink Client]TCP/IP error, connection refused.

[data file is open. FM Server Admin>Database>Open]

Should i change any settings on server side? Open the file on Client side through 'Open Remote' option?

This topic is 6973 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.