Calender plug in

This topic is 6954 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a small party and event rental business that uses FMP to make the contracts and keep inventory. Is there a Calender plug in that would take the delivery info from a record and make a weekly delivery task sheet? Or something like that. Currently, we are using a different program to view deliveries and it is geting confusing to enter the same info into 2 applications. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

I have a small party and event rental business that uses FMP to make the contracts and keep inventory. Is there a Calender plug in that would take the delivery info from a record and make a weekly delivery task sheet? Or something like that. Currently, we are using a different program to view deliveries and it is geting confusing to enter the same info into 2 applications. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks,

Mike

Mike:

I don't think you really need a plug-in for this, just good database design. You've got your jobs and inventory in FMP, so it is just a matter of making a line-item file regarding delivery (and pickup, I would think) based on those other files.

Scheduling can be one of the most confusing parts of database design - mainly because it seems ephemeral and momentary, not like solid data at all - but it IS data, and that's how you have to view it. Post a bit more detail, and you will get some solid answers here.

-Stanley

Mike:

I don't think you really need a plug-in for this, just good database design. You've got your jobs and inventory in FMP, so it is just a matter of making a line-item file regarding delivery (and pickup, I would think) based on those other files.

Scheduling can be one of the most confusing parts of database design - mainly because it seems ephemeral and momentary, not like solid data at all - but it IS data, and that's how you have to view it. Post a bit more detail, and you will get some solid answers here.

-Stanley

Mike:

-Stanley

Here is a more detailed description. We enter our orders on a data entry page with item numbers. There is a page that checks the total inventory against what is ordered during that period of time and we manually check the totals to make sure that we have not "overbooked" the equipment. Then we print the contract and send it to the customer.

Then we go to our calander program, (Datebook Pro, circa 1995) and enter the info like this:

RC#4567 Del. to The White House 9am And in the next field of the calander we list the items that are being delivered. The orders are given "priority" which lists the deliverys first and the customer pickups after that. It is a very convienient way to view what is going to happen from day to day. But the bummer is if a clerk forgets to enter an order into the calender or enter it incorrectly.

I'm sure there is a way for FMP to list these fields, but what would make it perfect would be to make the view look like a weekly calender so a person could see a week at a glance. You are right about the scheduling being ephemeral and momentary, but as you say it IS solid data. And when you're dealing with weddings and things that are once in a lifetime to most, but daily to us, we don't have the luxury to mess up without a screaming customer and other annoying responses.

If anyone has an answer to this, please post or email me personally.

Thanks for all,

Peace,

Mike

[email protected]

Here is a more detailed description. We enter our orders on a data entry page with item numbers. There is a page that checks the total inventory against what is ordered during that period of time and we manually check the totals to make sure that we have not "overbooked" the equipment. Then we print the contract and send it to the customer.

Then we go to our calander program, (Datebook Pro, circa 1995) and enter the info like this:

RC#4567 Del. to The White House 9am And in the next field of the calander we list the items that are being delivered. The orders are given "priority" which lists the deliverys first and the customer pickups after that. It is a very convienient way to view what is going to happen from day to day. But the bummer is if a clerk forgets to enter an order into the calender or enter it incorrectly.

I'm sure there is a way for FMP to list these fields, but what would make it perfect would be to make the view look like a weekly calender so a person could see a week at a glance. You are right about the scheduling being ephemeral and momentary, but as you say it IS solid data. And when you're dealing with weddings and things that are once in a lifetime to most, but daily to us, we don't have the luxury to mess up without a screaming customer and other annoying responses.

Thanks for all,

Peace,

Mike

[email protected]

Thanks for all,

Peace,

Mike

[email protected]

If the key is design, can you suggest the procedure to find an appropriate vendor? It looks like there are some great people on these boards and I'm all for making it easy for us and reasonably profitable for the right person. (that sounds like a come on doesn't it?) My wife did an incredible job of designing the database, but may have hit the wall when it comes to the scheduling part. I'm also wary of how my staff will take to things looking different. (Although different CAN be good) That's why I'm asking about the calender plug in. If it doesn't require one, I'm all for doing without it.

Mike

• 1 month later...

This topic is 6954 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.