Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Converting Date to text gives unknown numbers?

This topic is 6975 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have 2 date fields and a notes field that I have to combine with no slashes or dashes or othe marks (for export into another program)

This is the format I need to export:

mmddyy mmddyy note

This is my calculation field

Action Date & " " & FollowUp Date & " " & Action Notes

This is how the field should look:

020904 021004 client seems to think there is no budget

but this is the result I get

731620 731720 client seems to think there is no budget

--------

I'm guessing that a date format uses some underlying numerical calculation, because I get a similar result in Excel if I change a "date" format to a Text format.

I've tried DateToText, but I still have slashes (and no leading zeroes). If I import into Excel to "find and replace" the slashes, the "dates" changes to that underlying number code.

Any ideas? It seemed like an easy problem, and would be, I guess, if the "date" format wasn't just a mask over other numbers.

Thanks in advance

Cheri

I have 2 date fields and a notes field that I have to combine with no slashes or dashes or othe marks (for export into another program)

This is the format I need to export:

mmddyy mmddyy note

This is my calculation field

Action Date & " " & FollowUp Date & " " & Action Notes

This is how the field should look:

020904 021004 client seems to think there is no budget

but this is the result I get

731620 731720 client seems to think there is no budget

--------

I'm guessing that a date format uses some underlying numerical calculation, because I get a similar result in Excel if I change a "date" format to a Text format.

I've tried DateToText, but I still have slashes (and no leading zeroes). If I import into Excel to "find and replace" the slashes, the "dates" changes to that underlying number code.

Any ideas? It seemed like an easy problem, and would be, I guess, if the "date" format wasn't just a mask over other numbers.

Thanks in advance

Cheri

Dealing with converting dates to text can be vexing. I would suggest making two calculation fields (result text) for your two dates. For Action Date:

Case (Month [Action Date] < 10, "0" & NumToText [Month [Action Date]], NumToText [Month [Action Date]]) &

Case (Day [Action Date] < 10, "0" & NumToText [Day [Action Date]], NumToText [Day [Action Date]]) &

Right [NumToText [Year [Action Date]], 2]

The Month, Day & Year functions return numbers. The calc tests to see if they are single digit numbers, and adds a leading zero if so. It also converts them all from numbers to text. This is off the top of my head, so I hope I have the right numbner of open & close brackets.

Call this ActionDateCalc. Make a similar field for FollowUpDate. Stick both calcc fields off on an All Fields layout where they don't need to be seen. Alter your concatenation above to;

ActionDateCalc & " " & FollowUpDateCalc & " " & Action Notes

That should do it.

Steve Brown

Dealing with converting dates to text can be vexing. I would suggest making two calculation fields (result text) for your two dates. For Action Date:

Case (Month [Action Date] < 10, "0" & NumToText [Month [Action Date]], NumToText [Month [Action Date]]) &

Case (Day [Action Date] < 10, "0" & NumToText [Day [Action Date]], NumToText [Day [Action Date]]) &

Right [NumToText [Year [Action Date]], 2]

The Month, Day & Year functions return numbers. The calc tests to see if they are single digit numbers, and adds a leading zero if so. It also converts them all from numbers to text. This is off the top of my head, so I hope I have the right numbner of open & close brackets.

Call this ActionDateCalc. Make a similar field for FollowUpDate. Stick both calcc fields off on an All Fields layout where they don't need to be seen. Alter your concatenation above to;

ActionDateCalc & " " & FollowUpDateCalc & " " & Action Notes

That should do it.

Steve Brown

Thank You - I was going to drop in the calculations for leading zeroes and the 2-digit year AFTER I solved the problem of turning a date into text - I didn't realize that the calculations themselves would solve the problem!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer!

Cheri

This topic is 6975 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.