Server Maintenance This Week. ×

HELP...This is a GOOD One... Ref. FIND

Jace

This topic is 8104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Of all the years, I have come across a FIND PROBLEM that is working my common sense into overtime.

A landlord has requested a FIND for his Renters by addresses. SIMPLE enough.... Now, here are four addresses he has on file, in a pop-up menu so no spelling mistakes.

404 west market apt 1

404 west market apt 2

404 west market apt 3

404 west market apt 4

QUESTION / PROBLEM is this. When there are multiple entries for each apartment, a simple search should isolate them from the other.

HOWEVER...when you do a search/find for

404 west market apt 4, it will bring up all the files, which in this case is apt 1, 2, 3, and 4.

When a search/find for all the other address, it picks them out as simple as 1-2-3 and group them like the Find Command was design to do. No mistakes, no errors.

At first I thought it was something about the spelling or whatever any other common sense reason might be, but after testing this out on different FMPro 5.5 programs, it always came up with the same results. I have run this string of address on two other computers and tested them... Same results...even when I created a mock data base to test it out on.

WHOA.... anyone out there want to try this simple search and see if they have the same problem...... (Please use the same string of addresses) and if so, I need a SOLUTION or a Padded Room...

smile.gif

Thanks

Jace

RE: HOWEVER...when you do a search/find for

404 west market apt 4, it will bring up all the files, which in this case is apt 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Easy, do search with exact search like:

==404 west market apt 4

and it will find only 404 west market apt 4

I go only sometimes into this topic, but you can find me in WEB topic always smile.gif

Thanks Anatoli Kohout

I tried the single = sign and it did not work. I went back and tried the double = sign and BINGO, it works great.

Question though that comes to mind. Why do many of the address work without even an equal and this requires (2 Equals)? Is this a SNAFU in FMpro???

Thanks Again....

EUROPE HU!!! This is GREAT....

Jason

In a text field, a 4 is the same as a 404 when you search. So it's as though you were searching for all the 404 apts., the final 4 is redundant. Another way to force the correct find is to enclose it in quotes, e.g. "apt 4" would work.

I hope you didn't think I was serious about fitch's blatant, shameless, brazen, attention seeking... ooops, there I go again. I'd better have a little lie down.

It's 10:30 am here in Sydney. Don't forget Valentines Day! (It's too late for me!)

... and if you want to have a button which will find all records for the appartment currently showing, then

assuming the Field "Appartment_Name" contains the 404 west etc

create a global text field "g_Appt to Search For"

Then the scrip is:

# Find all exact match records for this appartment

SetField(g_Appt to Search For, "=="&Appartment_Name)

Enter Find Mode

SetField(Appartment_Name, g_Appt to Search For)

Perform Find

Make sure the Enter Find Mode and Perform Find steps do not have any of the boxes checked.

Russ Baker

Canberra, Australia

count.zip

"...blatant, shameless, brazen, attention seeking..."

I've been called worse. cool.gif

Like I said, who cares about ratings? Do we even need ratings? I think a karma system, more like ebay's, would be better. So I've given up on ratings... Now I follow the Path of Least Resistance. You should too! Join us! You will be assimilated... POLR Power!

This topic is 8104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.