Container fields in FM6

This topic is 6967 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi there,

I'm new to Applescript and FileMaker although I've done a bit of database development on Windows and Linux.

I've having trouble working out in advance what is possible with Applescript and FMPro.

In particular I want to read a folder of filenames and if they match a rule create a record that has container field with a reference to an image filename.

I am not clear whether I need the improvements to the container field brought in for Filemaker 7 or not. Can I construct a string that points to a filepath and insert it into a container field in FileMaker 6?

I am not going to have access to a Mac until I have agreed to do the work or else I would be working this out by trial and error!

thanks,

AndyB

• Newbies

From first glance these don't seem to add any functionality to container fields.

Am I missing something?

The specific functionality I was unsure of is:

Can Applescript set the source path for a container field (reference not embedded) to an arbitry string?

• Newbies

I think the processing I have to do might be too complicated for 'import folder' i.e. I have to scan a directory, get the filename, change it into a related filename and link to that image also.

But as long as I can set the file reference of a container field from a string variable without needing FileMaker 7 I should be OK...

• Newbies

Sorry to raise this again.

I'm still unclear on a one point.

In *Filemaker 6* can I set the reference to a container field via a calculation? There are many posts about this but they don't clearly state whether this functionality requires Filemaker 7.

This topic is 6967 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.