Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 6949 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The question sometimes comes up: How can the user select which fields appear on a layout without having access to layout mode. This can be easily done using calculated fields with the GetField() function or other similar means. But, the field can only be displayed; not edited.

This example shows a scriptless method of doing this using auto-enter formulae in the main fields and proxy (display) fields so that editing the proxy field will update the original field.

ProxyFields.fp7.zip

Thanks for the example...I'm starting to catch on (a bit anyway). One question though. In your "Pick Field" layout you have the 3 global fields "gFieldSelect01..." formatted as pop-up menus. When I publish the example to the web, the pop-up menu functionality does not work. Is this an FM issue or other?

Thanks.

I'm not sure. I've only just started using web publishing myself, so I'm no expert. However, I do have a web accessible database which works correctly with pop-up menus, but I've also found other things which don't work very well on the web.

The example I gave makes use of the FieldNames() design function to get the names of all fields, in order to create the value list for the pop-up. You might want to try creating a value list with fixed items. It's a lot simpler and less likely to have things to go wrong.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.