Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Looking for a scanner... HHP 3800?

This topic is 6940 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, Like everyone else on this post, I'm looking to set up something with a barcoding system. I get the basic idea... the scanning device "types" your alphanumeric code into a field. About the scanners... I'm looking for something that will work with both Windows / Mac. I see most people recommend the HHP 3800. Does this one work well with both? Can anyone recommend some others?

The other issue about how it works... What software do you need to actually print out the barcode and match it up with the alphanumeric code you want?

I plan on using the barcoding system for id badges as well as printed documents (paperwork and labels)

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The 3800 is great. I used to be a big fan of USB, but now, after using serial, I wouldn't touch keyboard emulation with a ten foot pole.

With serial you don't have to worry about where the cursor is, nor do you have to worry about how fast you scan items in sequence (if you program the dispatch script properly).

It is a lot more work to set up though - you need a usb to serial adapter if you're on a Mac (or just use a bluetooth scanner that can communicate using serial, like the VoyagerBT), plus you need the Troi Serial plug-in to handle the communications.

Printing bar codes is something totally different completely. To print simple bar code symbologies like Code39, you just need a code 39 font. Other bar codes may be more complicated and may require some calculations (such as UPC).

This topic is 6940 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.