Server Maintenance This Week. ×

licensing 1st solution

This topic is 6945 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could point me to information about creating FM solutions and then selling the product. I have only been a developer for individual companies, but I may be entering into an opportunity where we will sell create a solution and then license it.

I will obviously need licensed copies of all software for each user, a contract, etc... but is there anything else I should be looking for? Any kind of checklist or something?

Also what do you guys usually charge for solutions? how about upgrades and support? etc... Any info would be great since I am new to trying to sell a proprietary software solution.

TIA.

I haven't done it, but I can see some obvious things to consider:

- Tell us what the target market is. Companies with large installations, high-end consumer, low-end consumer, ...

- Lock down your software with the Licensing Key. It takes some work, and as a consumer, it irritates the heck out of me. But, you are selling a professional product. Do your best to control access to the product. If it is a basic consumer app, this might not be as important; still, it should be considered.

- Build Tech Support & Help Lines into your pricing. You may not want a Help Line upfront, but at some point, you have to support your clients. This may be you simply handling the emails & calls, but your time should be accounted for.

- The price should be driven by what the market will bare. You should look at software of similar size & market (even if it is a completely different area).

* How much will it cost to develop?

* How much will it cost to market?

* How much will it cost to package (cds, special boxes, ...)?

* How much will it cost to support?

* What kind of profit margin are you looking for?

* (Build in a fudger factor - a little extra - if you can)

- Build a simple Business Plan, considering all this stuff, plus anything else you much think of. It doesn't have to be big or fancy. When you write it out though, you will trigger things in your own brain. It also gives you a base to remind yourself of things, so you don't forget. Eventually, it might be a foundation for having somebody write a professional Business Plan, for investors or something.

This topic is 6945 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.