Server Maintenance This Week. ×

2 separate BR and GUI layers?

This topic is 6933 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I'm developing a little solution with two different types of users, I call them users and admins. I very much like the idea of the separation modell, so I'm about to apply it to my solution.

While there are two rather different user groups I was thinking that I might create two sets of BR and GUI layers/files, which makes a total of 5 files (1 data, 2 BR, 2 GUI). My idea was that the interface for the user would be much lighter if it did not contain the BR for the admin. (It might aswell be possible for a user-user to connect via WAN wich would be great).

So far so good I thought.

But it looks like the user-GUI has to interact with the admin-BR (e.g. add records to keep it updated). Haven't I then lost the whole idea with separating the BR and GUI into two sets of files?

Does this make any sense at all? Please ask me to clarify if you don't get the question! I would appreciate any help on this issue!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Ralph for your reply!

But don't you think it would be a lot of extra network traffic for the user interface to deal with the admin BR? The admin BR would be a whole lot of other tables that the user will not interact with. I like the idea of users being able to connect to the solution via WAN, that's why I'm so concerned about lighten the traffic to/from server.

What would you think of having 3 BR files instead? One for user only, one for admin only, and one for BR that overlaps both goups...

Then you wouldn't have to update more than one BR table when you create new records...

Is that a good idea?

The unused tables would not be in the graph for the user interface. It wouldn't know that they are there.

I would think 3 BR files is a bad idea. Now you have 3 files to update.

I wonder just how many unsed tables (not TO's) there will be in the BR.

The unused tables would not be in the graph for the user interface. It wouldn't know that they are there.

This would be some great news! So, you're saying that tables that don't have a TO in the user-interface file will not affect it at all? If so, there is really no longer a problem!

I wonder just how many unsed tables (not TO's) there will be in the BR.

Well, I'm in the beginning still, but so far there are about 20 data tables, with more to come. And above them (the replicates) there will be a bunch of global and interface tables in the BR.

I would say that the user interface would use about 5 BR tables totally. So, there would sertainly be some unused tables...

But as long as they doesn't eat any bandwidth or CPU power it's OK.

This topic is 6933 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.