Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 6941 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am new to fm and am trying to create a wine product database.

I would like to be able to add the producer to the form and have done that by creating a field for it and also the graphic logo of the producer.

Now my problem is that I do not want to insert every time the graphic logo of the producer for every wine product tha I am inserting.

If I entered the producer name and logo previously when I was inserting a wine product, I should be able to look up this information (previously entered) when I create a new wine product card. A wine producer can have many types of wine.

In my current situation I am entering the producer and logo for every product and I do not think this is efficient.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Zaxatron

Hi,

I am new to fm and am trying to create a wine product database.

I would like to be able to add the producer to the form and have done that by creating a field for it and also the graphic logo of the producer.

Now my problem is that I do not want to insert every time the graphic logo of the producer for every wine product tha I am inserting.

If I entered the producer name and logo previously when I was inserting a wine product, I should be able to look up this information (previously entered) when I create a new wine product card. A wine producer can have many types of wine.

In my current situation I am entering the producer and logo for every product and I do not think this is efficient.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Zaxatron

Hi

The proper database structure should look like the following:

you have two tables:

PRODUCERS

WINE_TYPES

both must contain a key field:

PRODUCER ID

In case of the PRODUCERS it is called a primary key, in the WINE_TYPES table it is a foreign key.

Please note that the WINE_TYPES table should not contain any information about producers (only PRODUCER ID).

Create a relationship between the key fields.

Now, go to a layout which reffers to the WINE_TYPES and insert any field you want from the PRODUCERS.

Everything you see from that table is not stored in the WINE_TYPES. It is only displayed through the relationship.

This topic is 6941 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.