Searching by selecting in drop-down menus?

This topic is 8075 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hej Niklas,

About the data entry: Could you give more specific details about what relationships you have (and what fields they are based upon) and what exact error message you get?

The problem with the find is that relationships doesn't work in find mode.

Hmm...I don't really know if this can be done in find mode. You could go to a specific layout in browse mode and let the user select values from globals, and then script the search.

Daniel

I suppose I don't have to do it in find-mode. Just setting up relationships should work fine.

I have one file containing parking-meters. Another one that contains customers. Each customer can have one or several meters through a relation between the customer-name in both files.

In the meters-file the parking-meter-name is unique.

In the search I let the user select customer. In the next menu meters he selects between the meters that are connected to the selected customer. But when a different meter is selected, an error message is displayed, due to that the parking-meter-name is unique. That would indicate that I am modifying the file instead of just searching..

Hope this was a bit clearer..

Niklas,

First, let me just say that having customer names as primary keys is generally a bad idea. Try using a auto-entered serial number to base your relationships on (or use CaptKurt's scheme that's described in database standards section).

Now, with that warning I have some more questions for you wink.gif

If the parking meter is unique in the meters file, why would you have to perform a search?

What do you want to accomplish? Do you want to find a specific parking meter quickly?

In this case, you could just place a portal in the Customers file, showing the meters for that particular customer. If you then want to go to a specific parking meter, you could create a button on top of the portal, which performs a script with the "Go to related record" script step, based on the same relationship that the portal is based on (that would be from the customers name in the Customer file to the customer name in the meters file). And then another script step to take you to the file meters, if you want to see that particular meter.

Is this want you want?

Daniel

Autoit_printer_setup.pdf

Ok, got it. The field of the parking-meter got it's values from another file. Changing that solved the problem.

So now I have one popupmenu with customers, then all the meters that the selected customer have are displayed as checkboxes. Then I display all the invoices of the checked meters in a portal.

That only leaves filtering out dates. I'd like two drop-downs with 1-12 and one for year that filters the invoices. Is that possible?

"..let me just say that having customer names as primary keys is generally a bad idea. Try using a auto-entered serial number to base your relationships on.."

- yes I know, but it's just a small number of customers so no harm, no?

"Is this want you want?

- no, got that part already. what I am working on is to be able to select customer and meter(s) and a time-period and get all the results (t

This topic is 8075 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.