In some layouts -fields copy, some don't

This topic is 6936 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In migrating, I've converted 5 related files from 5.5 to 7 and am now rebuilding by creating a new interface file with each original file as a table, entering the fields exactly as original (can't copy fields!) and then copy/pasting the layouts one by one (zero records, no relationships).

This has worked fine in 3 tables, all fields in layouts are recognized in new table (to my delight!) except for now the 4th has <table missing> on each of the fields. I have done nothing different than the others, the fields are identical to the original, and I can't figure out why these fields have not been recognized in the copied layouts.

Any ideas?

thanks

I can think of a few possible causes.

1. Make sure the existing TOs for the table you're replacing are REDEFINED to use the new table. Don't simply redirect the relationship lines to use new TOs based on the new table.

2. When creating the new layouts, make sure the layout is based on a valid TO for the table.

3. If the original source file had had fields deleted over time, there could be gaps in the field IDs. These gaps show themselves when pasting the layouts from the old file into the new as missmatched fields: some fields on the layout are wrong. This is trickier to fix, but I've had success by inserting dummy fields when creating the fields in the new table.

This topic is 6936 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.