Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Product inventory management

This topic is 6916 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi everyone,

I am having a little bit of a problem i recently got a new job working for a computer reseller. I noticed that they have a system in place for logging in and loggin out notebooks (laptops) that is quite primitive and time consuming. If you are wondering what that could be will think of it like this today i receive about 100 laptops and i had to hand write every serial number on a log sheet.

This is what i would like to do. Using FMP 7 i would like to setup a database that allows me to use a usb barcode reader as the input device and input the barcode applying a preset decription of this barcode to one field. also i was thinking about using the same system to log them out but no i will let them do that by hand i would just like to be able to preset the description for laptops as they come in for the first time input those that are there now and make my life alot easier with no writing.

Can FMP 7 read inputs from a usb barcode reader? And if yes what is the best course of action for this little project of mine?

A barcode reader causes the program to type the text/numbers of the barcode. It will do this in any program that accepts typing, FileMaker included. It then enters a "post-amble" character, usually a return; but this can usually be changed if needed (a real Enter is good).

I've found that a FileMaker dialog presents a good way to present a text field for entry, and to continue a script, as a Return will press the default button.

If the field is a global entry, then whatever record you are on, you can go to the correct one, and set date/time fields, etc., to check things in or out.

This is an example file I recently uploaded for this, on another thread (about library checkout):D

http://www.fmforums.com/threads/download.php?Number=156683

enk0d:

I've been using FileMaker with barcode readers for a number of years in solutions I design for factories, and you're definitely on the right path. Fenton's comments are all valid. Another thing barcode readers can do is trigger scripts, so long as the scripts are at the top of the script list and are listed in the script menu - meaning that they have been assigned keyboard shortcuts. So, what you can do is, have a "check in" script and a "check out" script, assign them to the top of the list (cmd-1 and cmd-2) then put barcodes that read (correctly, this can be tricky) cmd-1 and cmd-2 on your workbench, with "Check In" and "Check Out" written beside them. Then, scanning the barcode for either one will launch your script. Have the script pause in the correct field - the identifier for the machine - and show on-screen "Now scan the machine" or whatever, and the user scans the machine you're checking in or out. All very user friendly, and no typing, no mouse...

I hope I'm being clear. If not, post up again, and I'll fill in the details.

-Stanley

This topic is 6916 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.