Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to make remote open show only certain files

This topic is 6896 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I want "Student" account to only show "Job Request.fp7" when they login. However "Student" needs access to "Job Request.fp7" and "Directory.fp7" because Job Request has a value-list populated from Directory. So because I gave read-only access to "Student" in "Directory.fp7", it shows up in the remote open list. I took out access for Student, and it doesn't show up... the problem is, I don't want "Student" to have access to "Directory.fp7" but "Job Request.fp7" populates a value-list using a File relationship to "Directory.fp7". So everytime "Student" tries to open "Job Request.fp7" FM7 tries to open "Directory.fp7", but "Student" doesn't have access.

How can I make "Directory.fp7" hidden to "Student" but still populate the value-list in "Job request.fp7" ? It seems to defeat the purpose of having a server.. if I need to open the database just to populate the value list.. I thought it would just query the database.

Genrou:

If you want to lock people out of certain files, the best method is to set all your databases to "not visible", then either set them on their way via Opener Files (there are tons of threads on this topic) or create a new fully-visible file on the server, which allows the users to navigate to the other files according to their account level.

-Stanley

You have to give the account read access to the file to get the values from the value list. If this was not the case, there would be no security. You can select the option to not show a file in the open remote dialog when setting up the sharing properties of the file. It will still open when a related file needs its data, but it will open hidden so that users cannot see it unless they're looking.

If you're worried about "Student" looking at the hidden file. Just don't give them any access to any layouts, scripts, value lists, records or fields, that they don't need access to in order to get the necessary value list. (i.e., they wouldn't need access to any layouts at all)

This topic is 6896 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.