Sorry in advance for the long post...

This topic is 6911 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Howdy y'all... I'm currently 1/2way through our upgrade process here- moving from FM6Pro on OSX (shared DB file) to FM7Server Adv on PC.

All of the client machines (6 of them) operate via an alias to a cloned version of the shared file with a relationship set to the 'mother' machine.

Now. I've gone and installed FM7 on my own terminal and tested- and the base data comes over just fine--- *we have a very simple flat db file.* But here's my question- and the one that has the secretaries freakin' out: If I convert their current DB files- and fix the relationships- I still have to go back and reassign all the indiviual fields in their layouts. I haven't had any luck in bringing those over so it's gotta be done manually. I know, it's not then end of the world, but one secretary (with the shrillest voice in the world) has about 70 layouts and wants them ALL converted over...

Anyone have any ideas? Or am I gonna just hafta bite the bullet and spend the weekend playing in FM?

Thanks everyone!!!

-moose.

Moose:

Welcome to the Forums.

I think you're in for a fairly bad time, as the setup you describe is far from standard, and I'm not even sure that I understand it. It sounds like each of your users has created their own "personal" layouts on their clones (which related to a master file), and now that they are used to them, they want them to work in FM7? Is that right? If so, all I can say is "yikes!"

I was going to write more, about proper usage of FMServer, but I began to doubt my understanding of your setup even more. If it was me doing the job, I'd try to standardize the interfaces for all the users, even if it meant getting my head bitten off a few times...

Good luck.

-Stanley

• Newbies

Yup- you got it Stanley- Exactly *grimaces*--- I walked into this setup about a year ago- and I don't know why it was ever even done this way to be honest. Sounds like my fears are founded, then. *chuckles*

I have gotten them, mostly, to accept that there is a standard set of layouts to use... And I think they're gonna be okay with that. The problem I'm currently facing is all these "user defined" fields that each one of them has running. *grunts* With the current setup, they couldn't add fields or change them unless they took off the share on the main 'server' and took everyone out of FM. So they decided to just make the fields exist on their own terminals. (In particular, the shrill wonder also describes herself as a DbA here... wink.gif)

I did a little more digging, and found FMRobot- sounds like something I could use... I'd like to be able to take their fields and bring them into the current table... And seeing as how we're talking about literally 100's of them, anything a step up from hellish tedium would be a delight.

I'm a tech jack-of-all trades, but I specialize in digital imaging software (the fun world of Photoshop, PostScript, Quark, etc...) So I'm a little outta my element here and kinda boppin' along on logic and common-sense (luckily- FM seems bounded by those two ideals.) And the user-base is astoundingly helpful- so THANK YOU! (If y'all ever have PostScripting issues, lemme know...)

This topic is 6911 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.